Becker is committed to providing our clients with the practical, innovative and elegant legal solutions to keep their businesses moving forward. Whether facing the unforeseen challenges of a global pandemic or making the most of a bull market, Becker always implements a multi-disciplinary approach to offer our clients a fully informed perspective on a variety of complex real estate financing and leasing issues.
As COVID-19 continues to negatively affect the world’s economic health with a particularly damaging impact on the commercial real estate industry, we believe a dedicated task force is necessary to fully support our clients facing real estate loan- and lease-related difficulties. Becker’s Commercial Lease and Loan Restructuring Task Force is comprised of attorneys from our Real Estate, Financial Services, Corporate, and Litigation practices who are well-versed in all aspects of lease and loan workouts, including:
- Loan restructuring guidance. Advising borrowers and lenders on best practices for commercial real estate loan restructuring, including forbearance agreements, waivers, and other modifications.
- Lease negotiations. Assessment of leases and guarantees, facilitating negotiations between landlords and tenants to develop mutually beneficial solutions and resultant documentation, including those relevant to the COVID pandemic.
- Lease creation. Drafting and negotiating new leases designed to address post-pandemic health and safety requirements and force majeure provisions.
- Litigation. Providing seasoned representation for all lease and loan-related litigation, including litigation concerning force majeure and business interruption provisions and foreclosure actions.
- Liability assessment. Developing strategies to minimize risks for borrowers, tenants, and guarantors.
- Bankruptcy counsel. Helping borrowers, landlords and/or tenants evaluate the impact of bankruptcy and advising clients during insolvency proceedings.